Largest Hydroelectric Gravity Dam || The Three Gorges Dam ||
The three gorges dam is the largest dam in the world. It is the largest hydroelectric gravity dam in the world. This dam is constructed on Yan gtze River in china. This dam has the world’s largest power station capacity of 22,500 MW since 2012.
The dam has 32 main turbines with two smaller generators (50 MW each) to power the plant itself, the total capacity of electric generating is 22,500 MW. This project was approved by the government of Chinese in 1992.
LOCATION OF DAM SITE
The location of this dam is given below in figures. You can also search for this dam location on google map.
|LOCATION OF DAM|
|LOCATION OF DAM|
BASIC INFORMATION ABOUT THE THREE GORGES
- The length of this dam is 2335m.
- The height of this dam is 181 m.
- Total No. of workers required during the construction was 40000+.
- Total quantity of concrete used 27.2 million cubic.
- Total quantity of steel required is 463,000 tonnes.
- The cost of the whole project is 22.5 billion USD.
POWER GENERATION OF DAM
- This dam is the highest electricity generator dam in the world.
- 22,250 MW electricity generated by the dam.
- It has 32 main generators and 2 minor generators.
- The turbine cost is about 50 million USD.
- It serves electricity to 60 million Chinese peoples.
CONSTRUCTION OF DAM
The construction of the dam was carried out in three steps, which are given below,
1.excavation of river diversion bed
2.construction of spillway, power station
3. right bank channel construction
102.83 million cubic meter’s of rock are excavated for construction this dam.
The total quantity of concrete used 27.2 million cubic.
Total quantity of steel required is 463,000 tones.
Total No. of workers required during the construction was40000+.
RELOCATION OF PEOPLE
Strength of relocation =1.24 million people
Money spends on the relocation of people =6.5 billion dollars.
13 cities, 140 towns, and 1600 villages have been submerged under the reservoir of this dam.
PURPOSE OF DAM
The main purpose of the three gorges dam is given below,
- The main purpose of this dam is to power electricity to consumer
- To increase truism traffic in-country
- To provide navigation.
- To divert water during flood control
- To use water for different purpose of the consumer